Friday, 12 June 2015

MP condemns new Tory cuts

North Ayrshire & Arran MP Patricia Gibson has blasted UK Government plans to slash the Scottish Government’s budget by an additional £177m this year.

The severe cut to Scotland’s funding was announced last week by Tory Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne and came despite the Scottish Parliament having already agreed spending levels for the coming 12 months.

Describing the Tory bombshell as “completely unacceptable”, Patricia Gibson said, “The Scottish Parliament has already agreed Scotland’s budget for this year and that should be respected, not slashed as part of the Tories’ ideological obsession with austerity.”

The SNP’s Mrs Gibson was elected as MP for the local constituency at the UK Election on May 7th, defeating Labour’s Katy Clark who had represented the area for 10 years.

Condemning the fact there had been no discussion or consultation between the UK and Scottish governments before this latest funding cut, Patricia Gibson said, “The people of Scotland made perfectly clear in the recent UK election that they rejected the Tories’ plans for more and harsher cuts, yet the UK Government is planning to inflict even deeper austerity, which will inevitably cost jobs and impact adversely on services.

“The First Minister made it clear to the Prime Minister when they met in Edinburgh recently that the general election result means it cannot – and must not – be ‘business as usual’ as far as Scotland is concerned, but the Chancellor’s actions show this message has not been heeded.”

Mrs Gibson indicated SNP MPs in the House of Commons intended to “stand firm” against Tory cuts and would, instead, bring forward alternatives to austerity.

No comments:

Post a Comment