A 79-year-old man has admitted killing an 80-year-old woman in Stevenston after he struck her with his car while she crossed the town’s Boglemart Street.
Appearing today (July 21) at Kilmarnock Sheriff Court, Alfred Brand, of Irvine, admitted driving without due care an attention when his car hit Dulcie Richards in April 2014. Sentence on Brand was deferred and bail continued.
Mrs Richards, who had been a widow for 25-years, was taken to Crosshouse Hospital following the collision but later died. She had been returning from a shopping trip.
Prosecutor Stephanie Macdonald told the court that visibility had been good on the day Mrs Richards was struck on Boglemart Street, but that Mr Brand claimed not have seen her. Carriageway tests carried-out following the incident showed the car-driver had made no effort to slow-down. Ms Macdonald said, “It was noted he [Brand] did not brake until the car had struck Mrs Richards.”
For the defence, solicitor James Irvine indicated Brand is “devastated” he caused the death of Mrs Richards and has shown “genuine remorse and distress” since the incident.